“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
Benjamin Franklin coined this phrase as advice for fire safety. However, like all timeless quotes, it applies to many more aspects of modern San Jose life, particularly dental health.
Keeping your smile beautiful and healthy is done most effectively with preventative measures. Some critical guidelines are highlighted here.
1. Make a habit of brushing your teeth. Do it twice a day for 2 minutes. Be sure to use an ADA-approved toothpaste and toothbrush.
2. Don’t forget the floss! Flossing between your teeth daily will do wonders for your teeth and keep your gums healthy too.
3. Wear a protective mouthguard when participating in an activity where your mouth could possibly be damaged.
4. Don’t smoke. As if you needed yet another reason not to!
5. Abstain from piercing your lips, tongue, cheek, or any other part of your mouth that someone decided you should shove a metal bar through. Piercings put you at greater risk for chipped teeth, infection, and nerve damage. It’s a perilous fashion that you’ll want to avoid.
6. Refrain from snacks that have a lot of sugar or starch.
7. Schedule regular dental visits, of course!
My name is Doctor Stephen Beveridge. Helping my dental patients establish good habits is important to me, and so is helping them achieve the smile they want with cosmetic dentistry procedures such as veneers, teeth whitening, and complete smile makeovers.