OVER THE NEXT FOUR WEEKS, we’re going to trace a timeline for your lifelong, healthy smile! And to help make it useful and actionable for you, we’re breaking the content into four age categories. This also gives us a chance to share some “age-specific” concerns and tips.
Even if YOU don’t fall into the age range of today’s blog post, you certainly know and/or care for someone who does. So pass this great oral health timeline along by sharing this post with your extended family members, neighbors, friends, and coworkers. They’ll thank you.
The first age group we want to address is 1–20 year olds, which includes both children and teens. To help you prioritize, we’ve divided the information into must-do’s, should-do’s and could-do’s.
Must Do’s, Ages 1–20:
- Establish a dental home for children early, and stick to regular checkups. When children are comfortable with their dental team, it sets a pattern for a lifetime of great oral health.
- Set up an at-home oral hygiene routine. Remember, everyone should brush for 2 minutes, twice a day.
- ALL CHILD ATHLETES should wear a mouthguard during sports! Skaters, wrestlers, ballers, etc. That means you!
Should Do’s, Ages 1–20:
- Orthodontic evaluations should happen at about age 7 in case there’s a need for early intervention treatment.
- Dental sealants can provide a shield against tooth decay that will last throughout childhood.
- Healthy-teeth eating habits start now! That means minimal sugar, soda, and snacking—and, lots of vegetables.
Could Do’s, Ages 1–20:
- For teens, increasingly conscious of their appearance, teeth whitening can be a great boost.
- Exciting characters, colors, and flavors on toothbrushes and toothpaste can make brushing and flossing more fun for kids.
Use These Ideas As A Launchpad…
The musts, shoulds, and coulds above are by no means a comprehensive list of every dental factor to consider between the ages of 1 and 20! But we hope it gives you some good reminders and a starting point for building your own oral health goals.[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r9V4YbnQd0?rel=0&w=543&h=305]
Remember to watch for the future posts about each age group! And if you have any follow-up questions, let us know! Comment below, message us on our Facebook page, or give us a call.