IMAGINE A BRAND-NEW, white t-shirt. Clean and bright, right? But how will it look after you wear it every day for a year?
Now imagine how it will look if you smear blackberries all over it—or spill coffee on it over and over again. Even after washing, the t-shirt will start losing some of its zip. Teeth don’t absorb stains like a cotton t-shirt, but they ARE porous, and they absorb the food colors you eat every day.
Sometimes, tooth discoloration is due to tooth damage or medications. It can also be a natural by-product of aging. However, MOST tooth staining is a direct result of the foods we eat and the things we drink.
Which Foods And Drinks Are The Worst?
Take a look at these top staining culprits. Some of them may surprise you.
- Coffee (some studies show coffee will stain even worse than smoking)
- Berries (including those delicious berry smoothies you love)
- Bright-Colored Candies
- Red Wine
- Dark Sodas
- Soy Sauce
- Dark Fruit Juices
- Smoking (we know it’s neither food nor drink, but it’s a top reason)
Remember that drinks can be especially problematic because we tend to sip them continuously. It’s a lot like bathing our teeth in dye.[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPKu1_FUuW4&hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0]
Tips For Maintaining A Bright Smile:
- Limit your teeth’s exposure to strong pigments.
- Swish with some water after consuming any of the foods or drinks listed above.
- Chew sugarless gum to clean your mouth after eating.
And, remember to brush and floss every day. Don’t give those stains a chance to set in and build up. Your regular cleanings with our team also help.
If you have any questions about keeping your teeth looking clean and white, ask us! We’ll help you decide on a solution to get your whitest, healthiest teeth.
Whiten Your Smile During Our 2013 Smiles For Life Children’s Charities Campaign!
March through June, professionally whiten your smile here in our dental practice and 100% of the proceeds go to children’s charities![youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEB7rSpBQbg?rel=0&w=543&h=305]
When you have your smile professionally whitened during the Smiles For Life campaign, you also change children’s lives. How? We are proud to be part of the Smiles For Life campaign which raises funds through teeth whitening for seriously ill, disabled, and underprivileged children—both locally and around the world.
Here’s How It Works:
- We donate our time.
- Philips Oral Health Care donates the materials.
- Your smile gets professionally whitened.
- 100% of your contribution goes directly to kids in need.
Here’s How YOU Can Help Kids In Need:
1. Make a whitening appointment with us to whiten your smile!
2. Help us spread the word! Whether you choose to have your own smile whitened or not, you can make a HUGE difference for seriously ill and underserved children around the world by simply sharing this opportunity on your trusted social networks such as Facebook!