Unfortunately, gum disease is very common. But, at Beveridge Dental in San Jose CA, it is a completely preventable condition. We are ready to help you deal with those swollen gums! But how? The best solution is always prevention. Our team has compiled a list of ways you can reduce your chances of gum disease. Here’s some simple ways to keep your teeth and gums healthy:
- Brush Properly: Brush for two to three minutes, at least twice a day, with fluoridated toothpaste. Be sure to brush along the gum-line. Scrub away the fragments of food. Don’t brush too hard, but be thorough. Scrubbing your gums aggressively can be painful and damaging to your oral health.
- Floss Daily: Flossing removes plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. Don’t like to floss? Try a floss holder, which makes it much easier to insert floss between teeth. But get over your aversion to flossing, unless you want cavities or periodontitis – advanced gum disease.
- Use a Mouth Rinse: Although not a substitute for brushing and flossing, using a mouth rinse can prevent plaque accumulation and keep your enamel strong. Remember that fluoride mouth rinses are not the same as mouthwashes. Mouthwashes have alcohol and are designed to freshen breath. But they can exacerbate dry mouth which can cause other problems.
- Eat a Healthy Diet: Starchy and sugary foods increase plaque. A wholesome diet provides the nutrients necessary – Vitamins A and C, in particular – to keep teeth and gums healthy.
- Skip Cigarettes and Smokeless Tobacco: Both of these habits may result in gingivitis (gum disease) or oral cancer. While you’re at it, avoid E-cigs and vapors.
- Check Your Meds: Be aware that certain medications can also threaten a healthy mouth. These include oral contraceptives, antidepressants and heart medicines. If your medications are affecting your dental health, it’s time for a visit.
- Make Preventative Care a Priority: Exercise preventive care and schedule regular exams — the ideal way to detect early signs of gum disease and make a plan to reverse it.
- Talk to Your Dentist: Talk to your dentist about dental issues such as old, broken fillings, or crowded teeth.
- Protect Your Teeth: If you grind your teeth, talk to us about ways to protect your smile. If you participate in contact sports, use a custom mouthguard.
At Beveridge Dental in San Jose CA, we offer family and restorative dentistry. Patients from South San Jose, Los Gatos, Campbell, and Morgan Hill also come to us for dental implants and cosmetic options. Contact us today to find out what we can do for your smile!